Tuesday, July 26, 2011

DAY 2 AND 3

I had visions of blogging this trip but the cell service in the overnight towns couldn't handle the 15000 riders and their familes. Finally tonight we are in Boone Iowa and they can handle it. Yesterday was very hilly. I've never done so many hills like that ever. It has been very hot with temps well over 100. We have been drinking tons of water and gatorade and I love the sweet corn brats and mr. Porkchop. Mr. Porkchop is an old man who sits on the corner and yells Pork Chhhhhooooopppppp. It is funny. Today was much flatter buy hotter. We only had one hill and it is named Twister hill because it was in the movie twister. It was so steep most riders walked up it. No pride lost there. Every mile or so there is a farm selling food and water. I love taking breaks and talking to the riders.  Met some great people who all have a RAGBRAI story to share. I've given Jacob 100% Independence. After his shower experience he is now a man. He ride ahead of me and got to town an hour ahead of me and set up the tent and had it ready to go. He thinks I can't keep up but I have my reasons. Tomorrow we have another flat day and only 50 miles. My friend Ross and his girlfriend are meeting us tomorrow and I hope I can get a night in a hotel. 4 nights camping is alot but we are sleeping well. Who would have thought that Jacob and I could have ridden 62 68 and today 73 miles in 3 consecutive days. When im riding out in the Iowa countryside looking out at the thousands of riders knowing we are part of something so huge I can't help but get emotional. I've officially made it further than 1991 where we quit after day 2. Sorry Aunt Holly and Debbie no taxi ride this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment