Saturday, July 2, 2011

Why RAGBRAI ?

My grandparents lived in Iowa and when I was about 13 I was invited back to help work in their Drive-In restaurant.  During one of the summers the BIG event of RAGBRAI went through their small town of Clarksville, Iowa.  I was in AWE of how many cyclists there were. There were THOUSANDS and they took over the town.  We set up a hot dog and lemonade stand and heard so many cool stories of their adventure.  I told my grandparents that one day I would be riding RAGBRAI. 

In 1991 the year I graduated high school my friend Chris Baker and I decided we would attempt the ride. I was in great shape having run 3 marathons and track in High School so I didn't feel the need for paying the money to have our gear shipped to each sleep over town. Instead we mistakenly decided to have all of our gear with us on the bike. We had saddle bags for our clothes and the tent and sleeping bag bungee corded to the back of our bike.  It was like pedaling a motorcycle up and down the IOWA Hills. 

So the day before RAGBRAI started my Grandfather and Grandmother drove Chris and I 5 hours across the state to the beginning town. We said our goodbyes and we were off ready to attempt the 450 miles across the state of Iowa.  First day was difficult going up the hills with the heavy bikes but we made it to our destination. I remember people laughing at us as we were one of the only ones to have our gear on the bike. "A little heavy their son" I remember one cyclist saying as he laughed passing us by.

The second day was also difficult but we also made it to our destination. We accomplished 120 miles of the 450 miles when we went in to take a shower we were sore but felt on top of the world. Then the STORM cloud above the campground BURST and we had forgotten to cover the tent so all of our gear got drenched including our clothes. We were up most of the night freezing cold.  We went to bed that night with thousands of tents around us and when we peeked our head out of the tent about 8:00am the next day and we were one of a few tents left.  Everyone was heading to the next town without us.

Feeling exhasuted from lack of sleep and defeated I called my Grandfather and said I think we are done.  He pleaded with us to continue saying "I think you need to get your ASS back on that bike and go another day." "I don't think so Grandpa I think we are done."  So we sat and waited 5 hours for him to finally come down and pick us up.  We didn't say much on the way back and I could tell he was dissapointed.  That was 20 years ago Mission not accomplished....

Once Jacob came into my life I told Jill that one day when he was old enough we would attempt RAGBRAI again the RIGHT WAY...with the gear being delivered to the towns for us.  That way all we had to do was RIDE (which is a challenge in and of itself)

My Grandparents have since passed away and I would like to DEDICATE this RAGBRAI XXXIX to them and everyone who knew them.  This ride means the world to me and I am thrilled to be able to share it with my son.

I know that my grandparents are going to be looking down from heaven smiling at us as we cross the great state of Iowa....Let the Adventure Begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment